There are many opportunities for you to help at St. Francis during the school year. Contact your child’s teacher for details. The Safe Environment Program of the Diocese of Wheeling – Charleston consists of the following components required for all volunteers:
All volunteers must complete the Safe Environment Program components before working with students.
Before a person is offered a paid or volunteer position, they must give permission to have a background verification that is focused on anything that would put children at risk. Only after being cleared can they be offered said position. The background checks are processed at the local level, i.e. Parish, Catholic School, etc.
- Complete the Screening One Background Form and submit to the school office.
Each volunteer is to be given a copy of Diocesan handbook “Policy Relating to Sexual Abuse of Children”. The policy is available below and online via www.dwc.org
- Review the Policy Relating to Sexual Abuse of Children
- Complete the Policy Receipt Form and submit to the school office.
In-Service Workshop (VIRTUS)
Volunteers must complete the Protecting God’s Children for Adults/Virtus training. All should be registered online with Virtus, and keep up-to-date with the training bulletins.
- Register online at www.virtusonline.com and complete the initial training online or select an in-person workshop to attend.
- Print the Certificate of Completion and submit to the school office.
The following is a list of some of the activities in which parents may participate:
- Weekly Liturgy – Every Thursday at 8:30 at St. Francis de Sales Church
- Families in Touch – prayer group Thursday in school Chapel before Mass
- Read Aloud – Pre-K through 5th grade
- Homeroom Parents
- Word Wall Assessments
- Oral Testing of Math Facts
- Marcy Cook Math
- Science Experiments
- Measurement Olympics
- Classroom Parties
- History Bowl (Middle School)
- Science Bowl (Middle School)
- Field Trip Drivers
- Athletic Concession Stand
- Athletic Gate
- Middle School Dances
- Fright Farm
- Youth in Government
- Spanish lunches
- Field Day
- Graduation Reception